Keeping Children Safe At Home
· Cover all electrical outlets with childproof plastic covers.
· Put guards on stove controls so children cannot turn on the stove by accident.
· Always turn pot handles away from the front of the stove.
· Cook on back burners whenever possible to reduce risk of small children burning a curious hand.
· Keep sharp knives in a locked drawer or cabinet out of children's sight and reach.
· Lock all cabinets storing household cleaners, abrasives, products and toxins.
· Store sharp-edged aluminum foil, waxed paper and plastic wrap dispensers out of small children's reach.
· Store plastic bags and plastic wrap out of children's reach to avoid suffocation.
· Remove tablecloths from tables as children can pull everything onto their heads by yanking on the cloth.
· Be sure that all tub and shower areas have nonslip mats.
· Set the hot water heater for below 120 degrees to help prevent scalding. Always test water temperature with the inside of your elbow before bathing young children.
· Always supervise children under 6 in the bathtub.
· Keep all bathroom electrical appliances away from water sources (bathtubs, sinks).
· Put toilet lid locks on all toilets if you have a child under 3 years old.
· Look for hard sharp edges on furniture and install foam padding where children can bang their heads in a fall.
· Install safety gates on top and bottom of stairs.
· Keep all alcohol in a cabinet that is locked at all times.